Entrants must submit illustrations for Peter Bently’s picture book, Where the Sea Meets the Sky.
Sophie, a young, curious, sea otter, sets off on a solo journey to find the impossible place where the sea meets the sky. She soon discovers that the world outside her home is a much bigger – and sometimes scarier – place than she had ever imagined.
Will Sophie be reunited with her mum again?
What the judges are looking for?
The judges are looking for a series of original and outstanding illustrations demonstrating competency and creativity in visual storytelling for children. The illustrations should show characterisation, continuity and progression, plus a range of emotion and pace appropriate to the text. Originality is key as is the consideration for text placement and page design.
Author’s notes for illustrators
“This is a story about opening your mind to greater knowledge and wisdom. Sophie knows she will never find the place where the sea meets the sky but her own horizons have expanded.”
“I am very much looking forward to seeing how Sophie’s world is created visually. I hope my story will offer the opportunity to show a wide variety of scenes, from intimate, close-up personal moments to colourful underwater vistas and stunning, atmospheric seascapes.”
- The full text is split over 14 spreads and entrants are required to submit roughs for 8 spreads and final artwork for 4 spreads. The text, with suggested page breaks, can be accessed on completion of the Registration form.
- There is a choice of two formats for the finished book: 245mm x 245mm or 275mm (high) x 250mm (wide). Please choose the format most suited to your style.
- Artwork must be created at 100% size, or up to 30% larger, allowing at least 5mm extra (after reduction) for any images that bleed.
- Any medium may be used, but final artwork must be flat so it can be scanned. Illustrations with novelty elements or 3D structures will not be eligible.
- Artwork can be supplied digitally but should be supplied as one low res PDF, file size to be no larger than 8MB. Please ensure file is labelled with your full name as follows: firstname_lastname.pdf. Note, original files should be created in high res – and retained as such – should your entry be succesful and selected for print.
- Text should be shown in black, either typed or handwritten, and should be removable (ie, supplied as a transparent or trace overlay). For digital entries, flattened text on PDF is acceptable, but original high res files should place text on a separate layer